Jobs and education are not the only way people learn and use skills. People get and use skills in various experiences, including hobbies, community service and volunteering, parenting, and family life. Make sure that the skills you learned from these experiences are not overlooked. At SkillLab, you can also add skills from these experiences to your profile.
Entering Information About Your Other Experiences
To add skills from your informal experiences, you begin by entering the information related to the experience. Follow these steps to learn how to do that:
1. Make sure you are on the Skills tab by clicking on the Skills tab icon at the bottom of your screen like this:
2. Click on Add skills, then choose Other.
3. Choose the category of your other experience, and then click on the next to the activities you did in the experience.
When you finished, click Next to continue.
4. Finally, enter the start date when you begin to do the activity and an end date if available. Click Ongoing if you are still doing it today.
Click Save when you are done.
1. Once you entered the activity information, you will see a list of skills under it.
Click on the next to the skills that you learned or used in the experience.
2. Then, indicates how often you use the skill on the 5 points scale between rarely and always.
3. Click Add Skills.
This is how you do it:
4. Sometimes, you do not find any relevant skills to your educational experience on the list. To shuffle a new list, click None of the above.
5. When you have clicked None of the above several times, SkillLab will ask you to add tag(s) to describe your other experience. SkillLab does this to build a better skill list that matches your activities.
Follow these steps if you see this question on your screen.
1. You can click Yes, looks good when you have no tags to add
2. You can also click Add another tag and search for keywords that better explain your activities.
3. Click on the next to the tag you want and then click Add. You can add as many tags as you want to specify your activities.
4. When you have no more tags to add, click Yes, looks good.
After adding a tag(s) to your activities, SkillLab will show you a new skill list. See the image below for the example:
6. Keep adding the skills you use or learn from your other activities until the green bar above the skill list is full.